Skip to main content

Kids flying airplanes- what is this world coming to?!




One of Stephen's birthday gifts was a discovery flight from his big sister, Mercedes Ciel Nicole, known as Berstecher to her Navy SeaBees.  This gift definitely made the EPIC list and will be next to impossible to top. Not that I'm competitive.  Oh, wait, how silly of me to forget- I AM!
When we arrived, child and camera both charged up, we were told that the pilot taking Stephen up would spend fifteen minutes preparing Stephen before the flight.  We let Stephen know that if he wanted to be allowed to fly the plane, he would have to focus on the pilot's instructions- no bouncing around the room, no jokes about what he was told.  Basically, the 'If you're having fun, you aren't doing it right' speech. He was all prepped for a boring fifteen minutes of holding still when the pilot came out. 

He said hello in the most authentic Australian accent, then he walked Stephen over to the plane.  "Okay," I told Eric, "I guess the lesson is going to be in the Cessna.  Maybe we can watch through the windows?"
The pilot handed Stephen a cushion to raise him up in the seat, and a headphone set to communicate with. 

And then, ten seconds later, which by my reckoning, was exactly fifteen minutes short of a lesson, the engine engaged and they waved goodbye to us drop-jawed folks left outside of the plane.


And we just stood there letting it all happen. We snapped out of the shock and pressed the record button as the plane taxied down the runway.

We- or maybe it was just me- thought the plane would circle around in sight and we'd zoom in with the camera so Stephen could have memories of how cool he looked flying.
But within three minutes Eric was recording clouds.  The Cessna was long gone.

Wow, our son was flying around in that tiny airplane!
For the next forty-five minutes we twiddled our thumbs and recorded every plane that came back to the runway in case it was him.    
When he finally landed we were as excited as he was. "Tell us all about it! What did you get to do?"

What he did was fly out over the city, learn how to perform a barrel roll and a loop de loop and then land the plane.
How does one teach a never-flown-before ten-year-old person to do a loop de loop?  Simple.  They make sure their life insurance is paid up and prey to whatever God they hope is listening. 

Or, according to Stephen, they instruct him to push the yoke down to gain airspeed and once the nose is aimed at the ground and the plane is accelerating beyond control, yank the controls back up and just a tiny bit to one side, and ta'da, that kid is doing a loop de loop.  Yeah, that sounds like a dry pair of pants coming in for a landing. 
I never once thought my son would be doing loop de loops on his first run.     

That was AWESOME!
It turns out that being ten, he was still too short to operate the ailerons (foot controls).  But it was a brave pilot to let him have control of the yoke for such daring fun!
And since he was kind enough to bring my son back whole and very, very happy, I think we’re going to try that activity again!
I’ve included a video of Stephen sharing his experience. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instruction manual for a Percy Jackson party

Ever decide to save money on a child’s birthday party and just throw the party yourself?  Year after year our parties graduated from hiring clowns and magicians to renting the go-cart range.   This year we wanted to put all the money into his present (a new computer since the old one was driving US crazy), and just have a nice at-home gathering of his friends.   The biggest problem- and I can see that now- is that I put myself in charge of planning it.   Stephen still wanted a cool party and...wait for it.... I am competitive.   Challenge Accepted! (I am also jonesing for the next How I Met Your Mother, if you hadn't caught onto that!) As I tried to decide on a theme, my soon to be ten year-old came up with the theme for me.   He wanted the Percy Jackson books to come to life.  Yay! Then I spent nearly two weeks coming up with Camp Half-blood ideas, scouring the internet for patterns and creating the items needed.   Poor me.   And poor you if you dec

Old Fashioned Taste Test: IBC or St. Arnold?

St. Arnold Brewery Stephen can't wait until school starts and his teacher asks the students what they did over the summer. He insists he is going to stand up, pump his fist in the air, and proclaim, "I went to a BREWERY!" The Parent of The Year award is always just outside of my grasp. When Grandma came to visit, my husband Eric made arrangements to amuse her. One of the things on the list was to take her to St. Arnold for a tour on brewing. It IS educational, so we brought Stephen along, and I was amazed at how many others came to the same conclusion. There were more kids on that tour than adults! Which may be why they served root beer free, while charging (on a 'chip' system) for their other brewed items.   So that's the setup for how we decided to do this week's activity. While trying out their root beer, Stephen decided it was the best he had ever tasted. Eric said IBC was still his favorite, and Grandma and I were undecided. So

Meet Tom Watson, author of Stick Dog

This is a blog about things to do for bored kids, and I know it's not fair for me to say, "Hey, go find an author and drag him home!"  That could cause a bit of embarrassing paperwork down at the station.  So I won't. What I will do instead is simply brag that I did.  And there was no paperwork following the incident.  Meet Tom Watson.  He is the author of Stick Dog, and is awaiting the October release date for his followup book, Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog.  While patiently waiting, he has been touring around, interacting with the kids and signing copies of his books, and, as it shows it the picture above, he also signed any artwork the kids bought him. He was definitely not stingy with his autograph (which is a work of art on it's own!), and I worried he'd have no strength left in his wrist for my own copy of his book!   Let me dispel any tension this may be causing you- he was still in top form and signed through three grades worth of bo