Skip to main content

Archery Lessons



After cleaning up all the wrapping paper and candy-cane bows, Stephen's gifts still littered the floor. There was moldable clay, remote cars, an iPod…and among other things that scared me just a little, a bow and arrow set. 
Since Legolas took the silver screen, the bow has been a popular, ah, weapon. 

There, I said it. Weapon. 

We gave our son a weapon. For Christmas, no less.  

Along with the bow, we also gave Stephen five rules: The arrows must stay off the floor; the bow must never be dropped; there was to be no target practice in the back yard; there was to be no target practice in anyone’s back yard; and in fact, the bow should never be used at all.  

Ever.

We all know a parent can make up five rules and one of them will always be broken.  It’s best to simply decide in advance which one you want it to be and stick it in there.    

So, yes, I knew he was going to have to shoot the bow at some point in time.  But sending my son out to wreak havoc with a misaimed arrow, even in the open forest, seemed risky. Most towns will have a shooting range, but limit them to guns. And who wants to put a gun in the hands of a kid?  -Hubby! Put your hand back down! 

I was very concerned about how to teach Stephen how to safely use his new bow. And happily surprised when I looked up archery ranges and found one close by.  Turns out Legolas was REALLY popular!


That very first Saturday he went to the range with his cousin Dylan, who had experience.  He learned all the basics, like how to hold the bow, how to release, and most important: to wait for the call of, “Pull!” before stepping out to get any spent arrows.  But he was frustrated at not actually hitting the target. 

It turns out that it is surprisingly common for people who are new to shooting to miss the center, or even the entire wall.  
Who would have thought?  Stephen did his own equation to figure where he should be at this point and came up with a slightly skewed figure.  He was supposed to be that one in a million who just whipped out his bow and hit the bull's-eye on command.  No matter how many times we had him re-figure it he always came up with the same answer. 

 Lucky for us, they had an instructor, Kay, come over and give him some pointers- She he listens to.
We scheduled a session with  Kay Gaido at The Bow Zone for the following Saturday; She had him hitting the paper target consistently by the end of the hour.  

And now it's a pastime he can share with his friends.  He and his friends, Gage and Marco, made an afternoon of it at the range.  And on this day, his fifth day shooting, he starting hitting the center of his target.


As a side note: The entire ride over to The Bow Zone, Stephen and his friends discussed what they would do if Zombies took over the world.  Weird, because I know Stephen is not allowed those kind of shows, and we never watch them ourselves until after he has 'lights out'.  And yet, I found myself mildly pleased that for once in a car ride, there were no fart jokes. Go Zombies, and yay to the hippest way to save the world.

 I’m just so glad he has found a way to replace the TV remote as his sole way to exercise his right arm.  






As a bonus treat, this week I am including a video.  A quick sample of before and after lessons. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instruction manual for a Percy Jackson party

Ever decide to save money on a child’s birthday party and just throw the party yourself?  Year after year our parties graduated from hiring clowns and magicians to renting the go-cart range.   This year we wanted to put all the money into his present (a new computer since the old one was driving US crazy), and just have a nice at-home gathering of his friends.   The biggest problem- and I can see that now- is that I put myself in charge of planning it.   Stephen still wanted a cool party and...wait for it.... I am competitive.   Challenge Accepted! (I am also jonesing for the next How I Met Your Mother, if you hadn't caught onto that!) As I tried to decide on a theme, my soon to be ten year-old came up with the theme for me.   He wanted the Percy Jackson books to come to life.  Yay! Then I spent nearly two weeks coming up with Camp Half-blood ideas, scouring the internet for patterns and creating the items needed.   Poor me.   And poor you if you dec

Old Fashioned Taste Test: IBC or St. Arnold?

St. Arnold Brewery Stephen can't wait until school starts and his teacher asks the students what they did over the summer. He insists he is going to stand up, pump his fist in the air, and proclaim, "I went to a BREWERY!" The Parent of The Year award is always just outside of my grasp. When Grandma came to visit, my husband Eric made arrangements to amuse her. One of the things on the list was to take her to St. Arnold for a tour on brewing. It IS educational, so we brought Stephen along, and I was amazed at how many others came to the same conclusion. There were more kids on that tour than adults! Which may be why they served root beer free, while charging (on a 'chip' system) for their other brewed items.   So that's the setup for how we decided to do this week's activity. While trying out their root beer, Stephen decided it was the best he had ever tasted. Eric said IBC was still his favorite, and Grandma and I were undecided. So

Meet Tom Watson, author of Stick Dog

This is a blog about things to do for bored kids, and I know it's not fair for me to say, "Hey, go find an author and drag him home!"  That could cause a bit of embarrassing paperwork down at the station.  So I won't. What I will do instead is simply brag that I did.  And there was no paperwork following the incident.  Meet Tom Watson.  He is the author of Stick Dog, and is awaiting the October release date for his followup book, Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog.  While patiently waiting, he has been touring around, interacting with the kids and signing copies of his books, and, as it shows it the picture above, he also signed any artwork the kids bought him. He was definitely not stingy with his autograph (which is a work of art on it's own!), and I worried he'd have no strength left in his wrist for my own copy of his book!   Let me dispel any tension this may be causing you- he was still in top form and signed through three grades worth of bo